Welcome to Bodega Bay
A peaceful town set in a breathtaking natural setting on the Northern California coast along State Route 1
Bodega Bay is a favorite destination for travelers who are awed by the stunningly beautiful stretch of Sonoma County's Pacific coastline. The small, friendly town is home to exceptional seafood restaurants, oceanside shops, and art galleries, as well as a fishing fleet.
Bodega Bay was first charted in 1775 by the Spanish Peruvian explorer of the Spanish Navy, Juan Francisco de la Bodega y Quadra. In 1807, the area was visited by Russian supervisors of the Aleut hunting parties aboard the American otter hunting ship Peacock.
Alfred Hitchcock helped put the town and the bay on the map when he used it as the setting for his 1962 horror classic The Birds, as several scenes were shot using boats on the harbor.
What to Love
- Sonoma Coast Vineyards is the place where wines and waves meet at an oceanside tasting room.
- Spud Point Crab Shack is a low-key, harborside cafe known for its clam chowder, seafood sandwiches, and spectacular water views.
- Bodega Head is a scenic peninsula that provides a great vantage point for whale watching for locals and visitors alike.
People & Lifestyle
Bodega Bay homes offers an idyllic lifestyle where residents and visitors can participate in beach activities, hiking, kayaking, and golf. It’s a small town known for its quiet, laid-back feel. Most residents here own their own homes.
Whether it’s dining at a waterfront restaurant or enjoying the area’s spectacular natural beauty, there is plenty to do in Bodega Bay.
Dining, Entertainment & Shopping
If there’s one common denominator to dining in Bodega Bay, it’s having a view of the water while enjoying a fine meal. Naturally, seafood places are extremely popular. Among them are The Tides Wharf and Restaurant
, which serves seafood right on the water. Another fine choice is Spud Point Crab Shack
, which is quite literally a shack that serves outstanding clam chowder as well as other menu items. For a change of pace, try Ginocio’s Kitchen
, which offers everything from Italian to barbecue to breakfast, all served with a great water view.
Things to Do
Nearby is Bodega Head Trail, a 1.7-mile loop with stunning views of the craggy coastline. The trail is open year-round and is also known for beautiful wildflowers.
North Salmon Creek Beach
is also worth a visit. It is off Coast Highway 1, just north of Bodega Bay. There’s a nice sandy beach at the mouth of Salmon Creek, and the spot is ideal for surfing.
The Bodega Bay area is home to a number of excellent schools. Top educational opportunities include:
- Bodega Bay Elementary School is an above-average public school serving kindergarten through fifth grade.
- El Molino High School is a public high school in Forestville, between Bodega Bay and the Santa Rosa area. It serves the West Sonoma County Union High School District.
- Santa Rosa Junior College is a public community college in Santa Rosa, with an additional campus in Petaluma and centers in surrounding Sonoma County.
Bodega Bay Property For Sale
Bodega Bay Homes for Sale
Property for Sale near Bodega Bay
Petaluma Homes for Sale