Welcome to Sebastopol
A trendy town in Wine Country where you can raise a family in natural surroundings
Sebastopol is a hip, comfortable town in Sonoma County, located just next to Santa Rosa Real Estate
and only 15 miles from the Pacific Ocean. The pleasant vibes of this town of 7,700 attract both young professionals and retirees, and it is known for wine tasting and fine dining.
Sebastopol Real Estate was once primarily known for growing apples and plums. Almost all of those orchards have been turned into vineyards now, helping to power the upscale economy.
The pleasant downtown is anchored by The Barlow
, which is an industrial-chic shopping area featuring stores, wine tastings, and restaurants with outdoor tables.
What to Love
- The Barlow is a 220,000-square-foot center full of wine-tasting rooms that pay homage to the apple canneries that once operated in the area.
- Luther Burbank's Gold Ridge Experiment Farm is a three-acre plot that remains from the farm originally purchased in 1885 by famed plant breeder Luther Burbank.
- Sebastopol Town Square is a charming park right in the center of town.
People & Lifestyle
Sebastopol is both slow-paced and dynamic, offering a great place to live away from the hustle and bustle of big cities while still providing many modern amenities. The city is still relatively affordable, at least compared to other parts of California. Many retirees can’t resist the charm of living so close to wine country.
It is also known for its gorgeous weather. It’s not too hot, not too cold, and doesn’t get pounded by rain. There are plenty of outdoor activities, as well as a thriving business district full of restaurants and shops.
Dining, Entertainment & Shopping
The natural starting point for dining and shopping is The Barlow
, a 12-acre market district that celebrates the area’s rich agricultural history with a slew of restaurants and shops. Tasting rooms showcase an amazing 25 Sonoma County wine producers with more than 50 wines. Food and craft beer are also available in this funky complex.
Sonoma Wine Shop/La Bodega Kitchen
is as chill as they come, offering a restaurant with California cuisine and local wines. Another classic spot is Handline
, which is located in an old Fosters Freeze and serves California cuisine from local sources.
A wonderful place to buy cheese is the Bohemian Creamery
, which is just one mile outside downtown on a hilltop overlooking the Laguna de Santa Rosa and Mayacama Mountains.
Things to Do
The best place to get your bearings is the Sebastopol Town Square, a tree-lined square block in the heart of downtown. From there, it is just a short walk to The Barlow
and numerous small shops in the area.
Ragle Ranch Regional Park
in west Sebastopol is known for its beautiful oaks and backcountry trails along Atascadero Creek, which is a prime bird-watching habitat. The park has soccer and softball fields, tennis courts, sand volleyball courts, a playground, an off-leash dog park, a peaceful garden, and picnic sites with barbecues. Ives Park
is just two blocks from Main Street and has an outdoor swimming pool, playground, picnic tables, and ball field.
The Apple Blossom Festival
hopes to return as soon as possible to celebrate the area’s rich history with live music, arts and crafts vendors, food and drink, and an old-fashioned parade.
The homes for sale in Sebastopol are close to a number of excellent schools. Top educational opportunities include:
- SunRidge School is an elementary charter school guided by the core principles of Waldorf-based education.
- Analy High School is a public high school that was established in 1908 and has been in the top 200 high schools in the nation as ranked by Newsweek.
- Santa Rosa Junior College is a public community college in Santa Rosa, with an additional campus in Petaluma and centers in surrounding Sonoma County.